No brace expansion for ash?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Jul 11 07:08:00 UTC 2011

Date sent:      	Mon, 11 Jul 2011 08:47:10 +0200
From:           	Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org>
To:             	busybox at busybox.net
Subject:        	Re: No brace expansion for ash?

> >>  Bashisms are arguably Linux-specific extensions to Single Unix, don't
> >> you think ? ;)
> > no, not even close.  i dont know why people think "bash == Linux", but
> > it doesnt.  it is actively used on many many more systems than just
> > Linux, and i guess i need to point out the fact that bash is far older
> > than Linux.
>
>  Okay, then replace "Linux-specific" with "GNU-specific"; as far as I know,
> GNU is still not Unix, *especially in embedded environments that BusyBox
> is targetting*, and bash is still not the reference sh implementation.
> But you have a point.
>
> --
>  Laurent

As an user, I've got concerns with how scripts work in shells. I've
used checkbashism to try and elimanate them, but don't know if it
finds all of them. I've even run into an issue where bash worked
with a for loop, but after upgrading to a newer version it no longer
worked.

I've got a project that I took over way back in 2004, and it used
busybox for most things, but did included the full bash to run
scripts? It might work with a busybox shell, but going thru a 2000+
line script to check for any issues has prompted me to just leave
the 877480 byte bash as part of the iso image.

Is there a program that can fully check scripts for bashisms or
other problems.

Thanks for the great work on the busybox project...

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        10984133.148723   |   EINSTEIN     6161606.870851
ROSETTA      3358525.001787   |   ABC          6810712.402492