CONFIG_DESKTOP=n gives "request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c"

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Mon Jan 10 10:02:24 UTC 2011

Selon Arno Steffen <arno.steffen at googlemail.com>:

> Thanks for explaining this. I always thought my kernel supports ELF,
> as I see this:
>
> cat .config | grep ELF
> CONFIG_ELF_CORE=y
> CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
> # CONFIG_CORE_DUMP_DEFAULT_ELF_HEADERS is not set
>
> and in menuconfig
>
> BINFMT_ELF [=y]
> ELF_CORE [=y]
> CORE_DUMP_DEFAULT_ELF_HEADERS [=n]
> BINFMT_ELF_FDPIC [=n]
> BINFMT_ELF [=y]
> COMPAT_BINFMT_ELF [=n]
>
> For everything expect the last "COMPAT_BINFMT_ELF" I have a
> description in menuconfig.
> Is this really the problem ?

Nice explanation from Denys for the 464 part of the error message.

Looking in make menuconfig (even with ARCH=arm), you could only select
BINFMT_ELF=y or not select, so that will never be a module.

I suspect something is wrong in the compilation, probably on busybox side and
simply with looking with 'file' should show what is wrong
file <path>linux-<version>/arch/boot/vmlinux
file <path>/bin/busybox

I hope to get the right file in the multiples vmlinu* incarnation

Gilles