ls -l on Android device

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 00:10:13 UTC 2010

Hi all, I have an Android (ARM7) based device which I have loaded
busybox on. I noticed recently that using the default shell, when I do
an ls -l, the long format outputs the user name and group name that
map to whatever uid and gid own a particular file. The same happens
when I compile busybox for my x86 PC and do it there. However, when I
cross compile it for my Android device, and place it on there, it only
ever shows the uid and gid number in the long output.

I looked through the code for busybox and for the default shell, and
while I'm not an expert with C, I think it's due to the fact that
Android uses a stripped down libc called bionic. They use a different
function that works slightly differently.

Anyways, I'd like to request a config option or test that checks if we
are trying to link against bionic and uses the proper function for the
Android OS.

Any assistance I can offer to help in arranging this setup, please let
me know, I've got experience with applying patches and regression
testing over on the wine project.

Thanks

Thomas Spear