[RFC] Reorganizing the download directory.

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 8 02:57:45 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 February 2010 01:15, Rob Landley wrote:
> I'd like to do a couple things to http://busybox.net/downloads/
>
> 1) Move the actual source tarballs into a "sources" subdirectory (there's a
> lot of them now, makes it hard to see anything else in downloads).
>
> I note that this change is potentially disruptive to people who download via
> script, but it should only have to be done once.  (And we already did it for
> the "legacy" directory with the pre-1.0 versions back when clutter was getting
> overwhelming.)

In order to not break the script, I propose just moving "sufficiently old"
releases to legacy/

> 2) Group the fixes together into a "fixes" subdirectory (so it would now be
> fixes/1.15.2 instead of fixes-1.15.2).

Same as above, move some to legacy/? I fear deeper tree only open up
more possibilities for collecting cruft...

I actually went ahead and moved those to legacy/, does it look ok now?

Another thing: we can stop generating .gz files, I think.
It's year 2010 after all.

> 3) Zap Changelog.gz and the "patches" directory.  I stopped updating both back
> during the outbreak of Bruce, and now that things have switched over to git
> there's not much point anyway.

Zapped.

> 4) Is anybody still using the "qemu" directory (the one with a Red Hat 9 image
> in it for regression testing)?  As far as I know it still works fine, but I
> dunno what our minimum acceptable development environment is these days.

Didn't try.

> 5) Move "README" to "README-busybox" (what updates this, by the way?  Is there
> some kind of commit hook?  Does it match what's currently in source control?),

It seems redundant and obsolete, ok to delete?

> and add a new README describing the layout of the download directory.

If layout will become non-obvious, yes.

> 6) Add a "binaries/$VERSION" directory with prebuilt "not quite allyesconfig"
> busybox binaries for a bunch of different targets, based on the current version
> of the source and statically linked against uClibc.  See
> http://busybox.net/~landley/binaries/1.16.0 for what I'd put there.

Wow, I like it.
Maybe squashed one level, binaries-$VERSION?

> Finally, http://busybox.net/download.html seems to fall out of date pretty
> easily (it currently only goes up to 1.14.1), and every single thing on it is
> available somewhere else.  (Either in the downloads directory itself, or in
> the nav bar on the left).  Since I'm proposing to add a README to the
> downloads directory describing the layout of the downloads directory, could
> the nav bar link just go straight to downloads?

Yes, good idea, did it, will be on busybox.net soon

--
vda