environment question

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat Oct 31 19:55:09 UTC 2009

On Saturday 31 October 2009 11:00:02 Christopher Barry wrote:
> Probably an over-asked question.
> Q: I start udhcpc from scriptA. udhcpc runs scriptB on a bound event.
> Will scriptB see the environment of scriptA, i.e. can I access functions
> defined in scriptA from scriptB, or would I need to re-source these into
> scriptB?

the environment of one process cannot be changed by any other process
(ignoring invasive hacks that can do this), and environments are inherited
from their parent.

further, functions are not exported via the environment (ignoring the non-
standard and disabled-by-default extensions that bash provides).
-mike