mount specs

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 09:24:20 UTC 2009

Hi, Bernhard!

Of two letters to mountpoint and findfs (e2fsprogs) maintainers only
the latter (to Theodore) has been replied. He proposed to mimic the
feature by means of standard "stat" utility.
That inspired me to look at BB stat.c, which I found able to be
upgraded so it takes mount specs.

The summary of efforts is in attached patch: findfs, mountpoint, stat
are touched. Please, review.

The only drawback I see is that a vanilla file named like a mountspec
can exist (say, LABEL=BOOT is perfectly valid filename).

Another thought is that if we substitute calls to stat() library
function with a libbb wrapper (say, bb_stat()) which can deal with
mountspecs (to cope with drawback mentioned above), we propagate the
ability to support mountspecs busybox-widely for cheap. What do you
think?

Best regards,
--
Vladimir