runit

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 19:44:59 UTC 2009

>> runsv spoils service container directory with "supervise" directory --
>> pure runtime info which _should not_ survive between reboots -- thus
>> it's native place is /var/run/<service name>.
>>
>> There too should go "supervise" or "service logger" subservice.
>
> If you like stuff to be spread into many directories - yes.
>
>> Suppose I have getty service (say, on tty1) and want its activity to
>> be logged. I should make:
>> /etc/init.d/getty1/
>>     run # service starter
>>     supervise/ is a symlink for /var/run/getty1/supervise
>
> You propose that what exactly should make this link?

OK. I find it quite unnatural to put runtime info stuff to service
directories, especially binary stuff. Do you?
If I want service to be run off read-only filesystem, I must make _a
copy_ of the service directory in rw filesystem. This is redundant
duplication, right? The problem is solved if supervise/ is symlink to
writeable location -- that way no duplication is needed. And since
runtime service stuff under supervise/ is valid for the current system
run, it is natural to place it under /var/run/, which gets cleaned
upon next boot.

>>     log/
>>         run # logger subservice
>>         supervise/ is a symlink for /var/run/getty1/log/supervise
>>
>> Furthermore, one can expect service logs under /var/log/<service
>> name>.
>
> And on my home system, log/run makes it so. Without making
> it mandatory for every user of runsv.

Don't you feel it is a reasonable convenient default?

>> Furthermore, logger subservice then is invariant for any service, and
>> we can control whether to start it or not by placing, say, "nolog"
>> file marker into service directory, just like "down" file to control
>> service startup mode. That way, service's "run" can analyze the
>> presence of "nolog" marker and create logger subservice hierarchy
>> automagically.
>
> Yes, you can make your log/run loo like this. I have no objections.

:) Don't you feel it is a reasonable convenient default too?