system() call to bash script results in errno=ECHILD

tmurray at syncadence.com tmurray at syncadence.com
Thu Jun 25 00:42:13 UTC 2009

I am using busybox 1.14.1.  When I call a bash script from a C program using system(), the return value is -1, and errno=ECHILD.  I have tried replacing a shell script with one that simply calls "exit 0", and had the same result.  The process has handlers definined for SIGHUP, SIGTERM, SIGQUIT, SIGUSR1, and SIGUSR2.

What's odd is that it seems to come and go -- sometimes when I recompile it works correctly.  Anybody seen anything similar?