problem with running "kill -QUIT 1" from init

Aras Vaichas arasv at magtech.com.au
Fri Jan 23 04:15:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to implement this:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/AN2008_05_ChangingYourRoots

We upgrade our devices by FTP'ing on an upgrade package which is
unpacked and executed from /etc/init/rcS.

I have a working script which allows me to unmount my jffs2 root filing
system so I can then write a new image to it. The problem is that it
only works when I test run it from a shell prompt. If I run it from my
/etc/init/rcS startup script, it doesn't work properly.

I think the problem occurs when I call chroot in the /etc/init/rcS context.

Here are the last two lines of my first script:
./bin/pivot_root . oldroot
./bin/chroot . ./bin/kill -QUIT 1

This chroot doesn't do anything in this context. If I run it outside of
/etc/init/rcS I get the correct behaviour:

# ./bin/chroot . ./bin/kill -QUIT 1

The system is going down NOW !!
Sending SIGTERM to all processes.
Jan  1 00:01:01  syslog.info System log daemon exiting.
Exiting Syslogd!
udhcpd[275]: Received a SIGTERM
Terminated
Sending SIGKILL to all