PPPD on busy box

Ian Harrold ian.harrold at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:09:29 UTC 2009

I am trying to get PPPD working on an ARM based processor (actually a
Marvell PXA310 XScale).  I am running BusyBox v1.01 and Linux Kernel v
2.6.21

have compiled kernel with the following flags set:

CONFIG_PPP=y

CONFIG_PPP_MULTILINK=y

CONFIG_PPP_FILTER=y

CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=y

CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=y

CONFIG_PPP_DEFLAGE=y

CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=y

CONFIG_PPP_MPPE=y

CONFIG_PPPOE=y

CONFIG_SLIP=y

And indeed as the kernel loads I see the following:

PPP generic driver version 2.4.2

PPP Deflate Compression module registered

PPP BSD Compression module registered

PPP MPPE Compression moduel registered

NET: Registered protocol family 24

SLIP: version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY (dynamic channels, max=256)

I have downloaded the PPP Daemon (pppd) v 2.4.4 source code from the samba
website:

ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/ppp/

ppp package cross compiles fine and is added into to the filesystem image as
it is compiled.  When I run "pppd", the console terminal will hang
outputting nothing.  I expect to see something similar to this however:

which would be authentication/handshaking attempts with a modem.  If I tell
pppd to use Serial Port 2 "ttyS1" or any other serial port than the
currently connected consonole's port, the daemon immediatly unloads.

 Anyone have experience/insight into what could be going wrong?