Wonky Ping (ping don't work)

Chris Plasun chrispl78 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 17:58:02 UTC 2009

> Hi Chris,
> Chris Plasun schrieb:
> > DHCP options in /etc/udhcpd.conf:
> >
> > # The start and end of the IP lease block
> >
> > start           192.168.0.100   #default: 192.168.0.20
> > end             192.168.0.120   #default: 192.168.0.254
> so it seems you run a dhcp server too on your box ...
> I think this makes no real sense that at one hand you run a dhcp server,
> and on the other you try to fetch an ip via dhcp client; it only depends
> on timings which dhcp server first answers to your dhcp client.
> You should really explain a bit more what you want to do;
> if you run a dhcp server then usually you configure a fix ip, and if you
> want to fetch an ip via dhcp client then you should leave the interface
> unconfigured. If you only want to be connected to your local network in
> order to access the box from other PCs, or want to access other PCs from
> your box then you should:
> - avoid starting a dhcp server on the box
> - connect eth0 to your local network
> - use udhcpc client to fetch an ip from your dhcp server running on your
> local network
>
> this should always work.
> A hint regarding ping: not every host on the inet does reply to a ping,
> nor do machines in your local network which run M$ firewall.

Hi Guenter,

Thanks for your reply.

My Linux noobiness is getting to be really embarrassing. =)

I just noticed the 'd' in udhcpd.conf. I thought it was a default config file
for the udhcpc client to use.

However, I don't see the dhcp server (deamon?) running when I use 'ps'. Do daemons
show up in 'ps'?

I definitely do not want to be running any dhcp server.

What I am trying to do is to get my mpc8313 PowerPC board to connect to a virtual
SUSE machine running on my Windows machine through NFS. I've confirmed that
NFS server works on the virtual SUSE machine by mounting locally.

Right now, everything is working; hopefully I've learned enough from you guys to fix
the problem once I can't ping internally again. It appears to be a subnet mask thing.

****I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP THAT YOU GUYS HAVE GIVEN ME!****

I've learned more in a week about Linux and networking than I have learned in the last 10 years.
cp