mdev

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:04:17 UTC 2009

> So far I do not understand why would you want to
> push "add" to every uevent file in /sys.

To mimic udev. Just was a proposal for making mdev complete.

>> Please, take a look at the recent patch. I placed modprobe's
>> spawn_and_wait into the branch where firmware is loaded.
>
> Eh... unfortunately Rob's patch changed mdev.c a lot...
> ...let me add $VAR=regex matching, and then rediff?

OK. But, please, just take a look (no need to try to apply). Your
opinion on the question helps to write a correct patch.

> Ok, I added it. Try matching $MODALIAS=.* with current svn.

Please, do refresh svn. 26160 doesn't seem to cope with $ENVVAR matching...

>> If you find
>> it safe, the call can be moved out of SEQ fuser, so we won't need
>> fork, just BB_EXECVP would be sufficient. Moreover, we could directly
>> call modprobe_main() (if ENABLE_MODPROBE is configured), since I find
>> no reasons for BB people to prefer vanilla modprobe over BB's one.
>
> We should not *force* people to use "our" modprobe.

Definitely. But if they decide to use it, we can make them profit.

Regards,
--
Vladimir