Defconfig broken in current svn?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Apr 17 02:50:18 UTC 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009 18:09:56 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thursday 16 April 2009 22:48, Rob Landley wrote:

> > > flash_eraseall applet seems to require quite fresh headers...
> > > I even tweaked uclibc's kernel header exporting make target
> > > to make it work.
> > > --
> > > vda
> >
> > Please take it out of the defconfig then.  An applet that build breaks on
> > anything but the most recent kernel probably isn't a good thing to have
> > enabled by default.
>
> I see those files at least on linux-2.6.20.7 (oldest 2.6 kernel I found
> on my box). It's uclibc kernel exporting machinery's fault they aren't
> packaged. Fixed in uclibc svn.

The build break I'm seeing is on a Kubuntu 8.04 laptop (which is still the
current LTS release), not a uClibc system.  It's a glibc system, and there's
no "mtd" directory anywhere under /usr/include, nor is there an mtd-user.h

I also checked the Ubuntu 8.10 image I was using before I downgraded (due to
Ubuntu 8.10 being so horrible it eventually ate itself), and it hasn't got an
mtd-user.h in its /usr/include directory either.  Possibly I have to install
some -dev package to get it, but I dunno which one.