Network Connectivity

Chris Plasun chrispl78 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 01:06:59 UTC 2009

Thank you Steve for the fast reply.

>>I'm a Windows web developer thrown off the deep end to develop a
>>utility on an embedded Linux board.
>>
>>I understand Linux is a free operating system? ha ha
>>
>If you are going to ask the Linux community for help, don't rip on it.

We in the M$ Community are insensitive =)

I like Linux, just not for everyday stuff.

Though I actually paid $140 for a Suse distribution years ago to support the effort. Tried to force myself to use it but it wasn't to be. Windows is a narcotic. Best not to touch it.

I digress.

>>I'm having issues with network connectivity. I've been reading all day
>>trying to get the board to connect to the LAN.
>>
>>LED's showing network connectivity are on but I can't ping anything on
>>the network.
>>
>So this tells us that you have link so the hardware
>thinks everything is happy.

Yes.

>>I wouldn't spend time on DHCP until you know that the packets are even
>>being sent out?

That's exactly it. Ping didn't work.

I thought I could use DHCP as a shortcut. Also, The start and end IP addresses in /etc/udhcpd.conf were out of range of what we use. I thought maybe that could be it and changed the settings but to no avail...

>>Have you tried assigning just a static ip address to
>>the interface??

That was going to be the next step. DHCP did not turn out to be the panacea I mistook it to be.

Admittedly my networking knowledge is mostly forgotten.

>>I've tried udhcpc but it doesn't get past the "discover" stage...
>>
>Have you tried running wireshark to capture packets on the network to
>see if packets are being sent out?  Is the interface even up?

That's what I was going to do before I thought of DHCP. I thought that perhaps I should give DHCP a try first. I have Wireshark for Windows but setting up Wireshark on the board seemed daunting.

I was trying to figure out a way to determine if the OS can see the network or not. Ping fails so I thought that perhaps TCP connection was not configured and figured DHCP was going to do that.

>>For example if you are doing udhcpc -i eth0, did you do "ifconfig eth0
>>promisc up"

(I read up on 'ifconfig eth0 promisc up' to familiarize myself with the 'promiscuous' setting)

I ran 'ifconfig eth0 promisc up' and then 'udhcpc -i eth0' but DHCP still trying to 'discover'...

Is Wireshark the next step? Or is there a quicker way to find out if the OS can connect to the network? I'm confident hardware is working fine. How would I install Wireshark on this board?

The whole point of this is for the board to run Mono. Mono is to be retrieved off a Winbox through NFS.

(The board is a Freescale MPC8313 running Linux version 2.6.20)

Thank you Steve!
Chris Plasun