?????: modprobe patches

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:35:09 UTC 2008

We now have 2 flavors: vanilla, small and the patch adds another 2 (in fact,
replacements): small-compliant (Timo), small-n-fast (mine).
But we cannot advance without putting the changes in public. The patch is
very big comparing to usual patch sizes so I admit there is a danger of
breaking something.

To break the lockout I propose to temporarily remove parts of small-n-fast
(a replacement for small) from the patch, apply the rest and stress test
Timo's flavor. Those parts create new files modprobe-fast.c and
depmod-fast.c and can be removed cleanly. I suggest to leave a configuration
parameter (MODUTILS_FAST) intact to ease further reintegration.

Regards,
--
Vladimir