inittab ignored by reboot / halt

Chris Craig chris at microtronix.com
Mon Oct 20 21:30:27 UTC 2008

I'm helping to develop a MPC8XX-based board that uses a basic
filesystem, kernel 2.6.12 and busybox v1.11.2, and am having problems
with halt and reboot. Neither of those commands seem to be using the
actions specified in inittab. Here's the contents of inittab:

---------- /etc/inittab ----------
# This is run first
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

# /bin/login invocation on the console
# Must be first 'respawn' or 'askfirst' entry to avoid ^C problem
::askfirst:/sbin/getty 9600 ttyS0

# multi-user script (network, daemons, etc)
::once:/etc/init.d/rcM

::shutdown:/etc/init.d/rc0
::restart:/etc/init.d/rc6
----------------------------------

On boot I get the following messages, which suggest to me that the
actions are initialized:

---------- boot messages ----------
init started: BusyBox v1.11.2 (2008-09-19 11:39:25 EDT)
command='/etc/init.d/rcS' action=1 tty=''

command='/sbin/getty 9600 ttyS0' action=4 tty=''

command='/etc/init.d/rcM' action=16 tty=''

command='/etc/init.d/rc0' action=64 tty=''

command='/etc/init.d/rc6' action=128 tty=''

Please press Enter to activate this console.
-----------------------------------

Now the rcS script runs fine, the rcM script also runs fine (it actually
checks a uBoot environment variable called "syslevel" to see if it
should bail out), and getty runs fine.

When I type "halt" or "reboot" at a prompt, it just returns to the
prompt. If I run "halt -f" or "reboot -f" the system reboots fine, and
if I run the rc0 script manually it does the needful (aside: my in-laws
are from India).

Am I wrong in assuming that halt and reboot should perform the actions
specified in the shutdown/restart lines of inittab, respectively?

--
Chris Craig
Microtronix Datacom Ltd.