problem with a loginscript

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 4 15:28:54 UTC 2008

On Thursday 02 October 2008 12:16:53 pm Jurrian Dubbeldam wrote:
> I want to create a loginscript in which I make a few variables ready for
> my Xserver. So I did some research and I found out I use an ash shell.
> After reading the ash man page I found out if ash boots as interactive
> login shell it reads /etc/profile and .profile. Also that it needs an
> ENV variable.

It does not _need_ $ENV. $ENV is just the name of an *additional*
login script to execute after /etc/profile and .profile

> So I edited the /etc/profile and added the line "ENV=$HOME/.login" and
> the line "export ENV". However when I login, the DISPLAY variable is
> empty.

So far it's not clear why do you think it should be set.
Do you set it in /etc/profile? or $HOME/.login? Or what?

> So I posted on forums, but after two days no solution. Propably the
> error is in my inittab:
>
> # cat /etc/inittab
> ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
> #tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty2
> #tty3::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty3
> #tty4::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty4
> #tty5::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty5
> #tty6::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty6
> ::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 115200 ttymxc0 vt100
> ::respawn:/bin/bash -sc /etc/profile
> ::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
> ::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a
> ::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
> ::restart:/sbin/init
>
> I think my error is in the respawn /bin/bash, since I am using an ash
> shell.

Well, if you start bash, then it will be bash, not ash.

> But I don't know what should substitute it, and perhaps the
> problem is in somewhere else.
>
> If I need to add more code, please ask me, but I don't want to overload
> my first email with to many script codes..

You need to reread your mail before sending and ensure it contains
enough information for casual mailing list reader to understand
your problem.
--
vda