problem with a loginscript

Jurrian Dubbeldam jd at veromatic.eu
Thu Oct 2 10:16:53 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I want to create a loginscript in which I make a few variables ready for
my Xserver. So I did some research and I found out I use an ash shell.
After reading the ash man page I found out if ash boots as interactive
login shell it reads /etc/profile and .profile. Also that it needs an
ENV variable.

So I edited the /etc/profile and added the line "ENV=$HOME/.login" and
the line "export ENV". However when I login, the DISPLAY variable is
empty.

So I posted on forums, but after two days no solution. Propably the
error is in my inittab:

# cat /etc/inittab
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
#tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty2
#tty3::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty3
#tty4::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty4
#tty5::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty5
#tty6::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 38400 tty6
::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 115200 ttymxc0 vt100
::respawn:/bin/bash -sc /etc/profile
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::restart:/sbin/init

I think my error is in the respawn /bin/bash, since I am using an ash
shell. But I don't know what should substitute it, and perhaps the
problem is in somewhere else.

If I need to add more code, please ask me, but I don't want to overload
my first email with to many script codes..

Thanks in advance,

Jurrian Dubbeldam