shell script implementation of man

Matthew Hiles matthew.hiles at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:10:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Yann E. MORIN
<yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> Hello Matthew!
> Hello all!
>
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008 16:58:15 Matthew Hiles wrote:
>> msh does not appear to support
>> $() style command substitution, it does support backticks. I've
>> changed the script and it appears to work with msh without any issues.
>
> Do not forget that back-ticks are not POSIX, while $() is. Even bash
> considers the use of back-ticks (backquotes) to be /old-style/.
>
> I'd say that such shell scripts should be POSIX compliant. That sure
> rules out non-POSIX shells, but is standards-compliant.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.
>
> --
> .-----------------.--------------------.------------------.--------------------.
> |  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics' conspiracy: |
> | +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
> | http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | _/*\_ | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |

I agree about preferring $() over backticks, but msh doesn't like $()
and does like backticks. Remember, this man script is meant to be an
extra for busybox. I don't see it being used without busybox and thus
busybox compatibility is my priority.  I suppose the best thing to do
is add support for $() in msh. Anyone else care to comment?

~Matthew Hiles