1.13.0 coreutils/id.c calls libc getgrouplist()

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 16 03:21:10 UTC 2008

> Hi,
> i'm the culprit!!  ;-)
> As the checks for the missing of getgrouplist in uClibc were in
> the code.......I would dare to say uglyfied the code and due to
> the fact that i did an integral rewrite of id.c I removed them.
> The main reason that made me decide to remove the ifdefs was that:
>
> 1) libc has getgrouplist
> 2) getgrouplist was added to libbbpwdgrp
> 3) getgrouplist was already in uClibc svn
>      and the mantainer  was talking about releasing soon.
>
> So for the sake of code cleaness I removed the ifdef hell.
> In reality uClibc was 2 days late or we 2 days to early,
> this is surely annoying, but was not intended to happen.
> Now the problem is resolved anyway.....and we have
> clean, readable and maintenable code.

No, it is not resolved. Be realistic. You just got a complaint
from a user. Do you think he wrote this email just to annoy you?
Very unlikely. People typically wrote such emails when they
got bitten by a problem, and in this case it is a legitimate
problem (busybox can't be built with older uclibc),
not a user error or something.

> @Walter
> Nonetheless if you want to add some warning or
> maybe some advice in the id help text feel free
> to send a patch.

So you removed the #ifdef test and Wanter should fix it?
Nice...
--
vda