inotifyd problems

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 20:58:20 UTC 2008

> Here are my problems with inotifyd applet:

Let us take a look.

> 1. Every time my agent script runs, a new zombie process is left behind.
> The same script runs cleanly with a cron program. (this is not the busybox
> cron).

A zombie is a terminated process which is not wait()ed by its parent.
inotifyd spawns the helper and continues to listen to events. It is
intended. Otherwise, event reporting would be blocked until the helper is
done. This is how cronds work. Don't mind, init should rip zombies from time
to time.

> 2. The letter M - for the 'self is moved' event - is never passed to my
> agent script; the script runs but there is nothing printable in the 1st
> parameter.

I'll take closer a look.

> 3. Was the number zero intended to be used for the 'unwrittable file is
> closed' event?

Didn't catch the question, Piotr. An ASCII symbol '0' (0x30) is set if the
said event has occured.

Regards,
--
Vladimir