1.13.0 coreutils/id.c calls libc getgrouplist()

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Nov 14 17:59:19 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008 09:42:50 walter harms wrote:
> hhhmmm,
>
> releasing a code that depends on a libc version that is not released yet
> it not nice to users.

I suspect glibc had this years ago and that's what they were testing against.

I also note that uClibc had an -rc1, -rc2, and -rc3 in the month of october,
and had stated on the mailing list the intention to have a release out at the
end of October.  In reality, the busybox 1.13.0 and uClibc 0.9.30 releases
were essentially synonymous.

> something like
>
> if uClibc version < 0.9.30
> 	you need version 0.9.30 at least
> 	exit
> end if
>
> may help also.

For a single applet?  (Other applets build fine against much older versions.)

Would you like to add tests for dietlibc, newlib+libgloss, and klibc as well?
Plus the various BSDs people occasionally send in patches for, MacOS X, and
mingw?

Plus the various non-x86 targets with varying functionality, such as the fact
you can't build taskset on m68k under _any_ libc due to the lack of smp
processor affinity syscalls?

Wanna keep all of the above in sync, for each applet, for each new release of
every project?  And warn about gcc versions that miscompile things on various
hardware targets?

Or we could just avoid going down that rathole entirely, and stay simple.  I
like simple...