Pending patches

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 1 11:41:04 UTC 2008

On Saturday 01 November 2008 07:40, Rob Landley wrote:
> When I say that signaling PID 1 so it can quiesce and shutdown the system for
> you is the easy way to do it right, I really am serious.

Why then many people are coming here with "my reboot doesn't work" then?

init authors (and I am speaking not only about bbox init,
but sysV one too) didn't even manage to come to a coherent solution
HOW to signal init! IIRC SysV init has a fifo (!) which you can talk into.
How stupid - now suddenly you require a place in fs where that fifo
might be created. bbox init uses signals.

If I write "portable" reboot (one which does not know what kind
of init is on the system), what should I do? Use signals?
Or talk to /dev/initctl? Or both?
--
vda