Pending patches

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 09:37:06 PST 2008

> > Why then many people are coming here with "my reboot doesn't work" then?

BB reboot indeed doesn't work with runsvdir run as init. Either should I
disable reboot applet (thus losing reboot -f capability) and write reboot
script or should I stop using runsvdir? I want to get the most from BB thus
both the ways are unacceptable.
To work the problem around I propose to teach runsvdir'ed init to call a
hook script, say, /etc/reboot to perform system pre-reboot housekeeping.
That way I still can use both BB tools and yield anyone's wishes to
shutdown/reboot his/her system in a flexible way.
What do you think, colleages?

> > If I write "portable" reboot (one which does not know what kind
> > of init is on the system), what should I do? Use signals?
> > Or talk to /dev/initctl? Or both?

BB reboot should be targeted primarily to BB init. Thus, signals. No need to
borrow bad habits.

TIA,
--
Vladimir