Config questions.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Nov 4 17:01:12 PST 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:22:45 Rob Landley wrote:
> It would be nice if busybox still had such a .config.  Maybe I can start
> with allyesconfig and just switch off a lot _more_...

So I'm making my own deltaconfig I can feed into "make allyesconfig
KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=deltaconfig", to switch stuff I don't want off, and I'm
fuzzy on what several of these symbols currently _do_...

CONFIG_FEATURE_PREFER_APPLETS:
  │ This is an experimental option which directs applets about to           │
  │ call 'exec' to try and find an applicable busybox applet before         │
  │ searching the PATH. This is typically done by exec'ing                  │
  │ /proc/self/exe.

When this is deselected (as defconfig does), does this mean it searches for
built-in applets _after_ trying the $PATH?  Or that it _only_ tries the
$PATH?

CONFIG_BUSYBOX_PIE

  Why is this indented under CONFIG_STATIC when its visiblity doesn't depend
  on it?

CONFIG_FEATURE_SYSLOG

  Remove the description string from the .config and it won't show up in the
  menu.

CONFIG_FEATURE_HAVE_RPC:

  Ditto.

CONFIG_PAM

  I despise pluggable authentication modules, but I don't know if leaving this
  enabled will screw anything up when there's no pam configured in the root
  filesystem.  Anybody know?

CONFIG_VOLUMEID

  The help text here says "TODO".  Is this another SYSYLOG/HAVE_RPC internal
  symbol we shouldn't actually display type thing?

CONFIG_DEVFSD

  It's the end of 2008.

CONFIG_FEATURE_DVFS

  Ditto.

CONFIG_DEBUG_TFTP

  Should this depend on ENABLE_DEBUG?

CONFIG_FEATURE_UDHCP_DEBUG

  Ditto, and why is this a "CONFIG_FEATURE" when the TFTP one is
  a "CONFIG_DEBUG"?

CONFIG_ASH_GETOPTS

  Does this have any relation to the CONFIG_GETOPT in Linux System Utilities?