Initial Path - Question...

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Nov 2 22:26:30 PST 2008

I have the g4l project that uses busybox plus a number of other programs.
A number of the additional programs I was building and installing manually into directories in
the path. As it turns out, some of the programs make install puts the files in the /usr/local/bin
or /usr/local/sbin.

I then wrote a little script that will compare the files in my build directory, to the systems to
see if the files have been updated, and show what is different. I then moved the files from
there old locations to the new /usr/local directories. I had found a web page saying the
/usr/local directories are part of the standard path. But a test of the new build fail, and
checking the path showed the /usr/local were not part of the path with the boot.

I added an export to command to the .bash_profile to fix the issue, but was wondering if there
is a better way, or if this is how things are suppose to be. Not sure where the PATH value is
set.

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 6,734,950.2088 | EINSTEIN 2,081,957.9009 | ROSETTA 668,226.5637