Ответ: MODPROBE: next generation

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 16:15:26 UTC 2008

Hello!

1. Noone wants to bury existing modprobe. I mean a new format for
intermediate data for an utility which will provide the same
functionality but is planned to be smaller, faster and cleaner. Have
you ever edited modules.dep or modules.symbols files manually? Guess
no. And they are the vast majority of (potentially invariant) data
which we have to parse expensively on every module operation. Why not
to try to advance? Or, as they say, "don't touch a sewing tube unless
it leaks"?!

2. BB depmod right now generates (having FEATURE_ALIAS defined, my
case) modules.dep which can not be parsed correctly with BB modprobe.
This is modprobe's issue. Since modprobe's maintaner is now offline
the updates are blocked. How people who shifted from production to BB
modutils (my case again) are supposed to cope this lockout?

3. What's wrong with BB sendmail? Please do request for feature if it
does not fit your needs.

Regards,
--
Vladimir