depmod

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 16:35:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 08:13:41PM +0400, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
>2008/5/29, Bernhard Fischer <rep.dot.nop at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:06:09PM +0400, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
>>
>> >5. I've prepared modules.tar.bz2 (of size 2.7Mb). Sorry, have no location
>> >upload it. Do you have? Or can I send you that tarball directly?
>>

>> I'd like to see the output of the patched modprobe first.
>>

>I've no gdb on my system, Bernhard.
>Modprobe complains on module snd.ko has unresolved symbols.
>This means the sequence of loading is wrong. snd.ko requires soundcore.ko to
>be loaded. And so on.
>Would you run depmod.snd to unload _all_ sound modules and load them again
>using _newly generated modules.dep_? Why sound
>modules? Because it seems they have the most complicated dependencies.
>I assure you that depmod in current state generate modules.dep in the wrong
>way. If you sort then diff
>both production and BB-generated modules.dep you'll see they differ
>dramatically.

Yes, but this doesn't make any difference for my modprobe, and i tried
module-init-tools 3.3-pre4-2 and 3.4-1 as well as our modprobe. All do
work just fine for modprobing snd-hda-intel, of course even if i have
turned *off* the fancy pruning.

I really suspect that your modprobe or toolchain or setup or whatever
has a problem, not depmod.

>--
>Vladimir
>
>P.S. Sorry, I can not right now access my system to provide you with exact
>output of the patched modprobe.

I'm still interrested in this output if you find the time. Perhaps you
don't have proc mounted? Please show me the output of those debug-lines.

friendly,
Bernhard