Shell (ash) access to console

Greg Huber ghuber at vanteon.com
Tue Jul 22 22:14:02 UTC 2008

Hello,
I'm currently porting BB-1.5.1 from uClinux to a Coldfire MCF5485.
Everything seems to work until init spawns the final shell, ash in
this case (I get the same results with sash). The shell continuously
exits and is respawned. I haven't traced the exact failure yet but I'm
betting that the console/tty devices are not configured correctly,
and I haven't ruled out a missing or problem with the kernel drivers.
Ash also runs the rc script without problem earlier in init.

My console UART driver is ttyS0 and I have nodes  /dev/console, /dev/ttyS0
and /dev/tty0 created. BB is currently using /dev/tty0, but ttyS0 acts
the same as does /dev/console, but I read that I shouldn't use this node.
I'm not exactly sure which device I should be using.  In addition, the
"Please press Enter to activate this console." trap never returns when
enter is typed.

I do, however, have full console output (using printf) during all this.

I guess I need to know which console device I should be using and how
to configure either BB or the base system to use it as I'm forcing the
device in init/init.c/console_init currently. (env CONSOLE ???)

Also, Please let know if I'm looking in the wrong place also.

Thank You.

Greg