Applet proposal - gratuitous ARP daemon

Roy Marples roy at marples.name
Wed Jul 2 06:31:23 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 01:23:38 William Hegardt wrote:
> I've written a small gratuitous ARP daemon that could be modified to become
> a busybox applet and contributed if there's any interest.
>
> It periodically scans the list of network interfaces and sends out
> gratuitous ARP packets on each interface that has
> a non-zero MAC address, non-zero IP address and is in the running state.
> The frequency defaults to once per minute, but is configurable via a
> command line option.
>
> It is useful for wireless clients that don't necessarily generate much
> traffic themselves and need to announce their presence to
> forgetful Access Points, etc.

Can it react on an ARP conflict? If so, how does it handle it?
Also, I think this daemon would go against the nature of RFC 3927, section 2.2
last paragraph.

  A host MUST NOT perform this check periodically as a matter of
   course.  This would be a waste of network bandwidth, and is
   unnecessary due to the ability of hosts to passively discover
   conflicts, as described in Section 2.5.

Thanks

Roy