Busybox make, modify my /dev/null on host

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 14 07:42:03 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 23:30, Christian MICHON wrote:
> seriously, back to the issue. I understand from the thread:
> 1) gcc used to work
> 2) something happened
> 3) building busybox from then on give the "/dev/null" crap

"gcc file.c -o /dev/null" used to delete /dev/null if compile failed.
It never "used to work" as expected in this case, until this bug was fixed.

> It just happened to me too. But I'm sure my toolchain is not broken,
> because it's working fine usually.
>
> So I did some bisect to figure out what I introduced in the system
> that "broke" the toolchain...
> And I believe I found it.
>
> 1) was your original toolchain built without nls and gettext ?
>   if yes -> 2
>
> 2) did you build gettext and libintl recently ?
>  if yes -> 3
>
> 3) did you get error messages since (/dev/null is just one symptom out of many)
> if yes, then I've a fix for you.
>
> the truth is that your toolchain is not broken.
> But now busybox sees libintl & gettext

busybox couldnt care less about whether toolchain was built with,
or without libintl & gettext. It just wants toolchail to compile C files.

> and *assumes* (hint: the pb is
> in busybox) that your toolchain will link versus libintl.
>
> 2 ways out:
>
> 1) remove libintl & gettext (but this is not the right fix). if you
> erase libintl.h in /include or /usr/include, the /dev/null error
> disappears

Sorry, but the bug we were discussing has NOTHING to do
with libintl & gettext. I assume you met completely different bug
with somewhat similar symptoms.
--
vda