?????: modprobe woes

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 08:59:51 UTC 2008

> > My! Who pushes you to? I'm trying to explain the reasons of developing
> > modprobe-small and point out what may be shared.
>
> You. You've been saying "use modprobe-small". And I pointed out the
> reason why it is unacceptable for me.

I was asking to try, not use. Things would get stuck if noone trying.

> Exactly. I don't think inotify is worth it. depmod is what everyone uses
> in the install scripts. I think the magic to autogenerate the deps is
> pointless and bloat and confuses user.

The topic was "how modprobe can seamlessly see changes in modules set".
Finally it became pointless. Why the question?

> I think I'll just do the module-init-tools alike thingy. We'll see how it
> ends up in performance and size. If it's better, I'll let the numbers talk.
> If I don't manage to do it, then I'll just shut up and try to fix it
> somehow
> else or use module-init-tools.

The discussion was started ago as "can we introduce BB depmod which is
smaller than its awk version". Bernhard wrote such depmod. Then issues were
discovered in BB modprobe but noone had fun to cope them. It was fun to me
to rewrite modutils from scratch. Happy to conclude that at last modprobe
has got new blood.

> Does bb modprobe vs bb modprobe-small introduce additional external
> codebase
> dependencies?

For me, yes, indirectly, as it tend to be like bigger brother.

Enough said, am waiting for code.

--
Vladimir