How to upgrade glibc

Christophe Osuna christophe.osuna at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 09:03:50 UTC 2008

2008/4/16, Christophe Osuna <christophe.osuna at gmail.com>:
>  I am unsuccessfully trying to upgrade the glibc on my busybox system
>  (...)

In fact the issue is not specific to glibc; any file in use will lead
to the same problem. The kernel wants to delete the old file from the
filesystem, but since it is still in use it can't do that.

>  I have two solutions in mind but I would greatly appreciate others:
>
>   1. Use a static link. This means that the glibc will be "installed"
>  twice: in the busybox executable and in the system, I don't like it.
>  Besides this was discouraged in some busybox versions if I remember
>  well.

This does not solve the problem.

>   2. Upgrade from an initramfs. This is annoying because I download
>  updates from the network, which means that the network would have to
>  be configured (DHCP...) in the initramfs and also in the system.

3. Tell the kernel not to delete the file when it is overwritten. How?
By creating a hard link. When the file is no longer used (next reboot)
it is safe to delete the hard link. This is more satisfactory than the
previous solution but it is not still perfect.

Any other idea?