Coupla bugs ? syslogd -C, logger, losetup

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:05:53 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 12:06, Mike wrote:

> The syslogd paramater is broke. Previous versions allows "-C 4096",
> whereas 1.7.1 doesn't. Removing the space makes it incompatible with
> scripts and so forth. Also forcing there to be no space makes it's
> option parsing unlike practically every other code out there. We should
> strive for compatibillity as removing the space adds no value. So lets
> fix the parser

Parsing of -Cn has not changed since at least 1.1.0

Previous versions of syslogd were ignoring non option arguments.

I downloaded busybox-1.1.0, added debug printf:

        while ((opt = getopt(argc, argv, "m:nO:s:Sb:R:LC::")) > 0) {
        }
+printf("shm_size=%u\n", shm_size);

built and ran it like this:

$ ./busybox syslogd -n -C 64
shm_size=16384
syslogd: Could not connect to socket /dev/log: Address already in use

$ ./busybox syslogd -n -C64
shm_size=65536
syslogd: Could not connect to socket /dev/log: Address already in use

IOW: syslogd -C 64 *is ignoring 64*. 64 becomes first non-option
parameter and is ignored by syslogd from busybox 1.1.0.

Current syslogd refuses to start when it sees non-option arguments.

If you are dissatisfied with this behavior, please propose
a solution.

> instead of bashing me, ok?

Hmm.

> losetup is broke as I stated and does not function in real life.
> Previous versions do, however, and I spent quite a good time trying to
> figue out why 1.00 and others work whereas 1.7.1 doesn't. I don't have
> to "do better" than reporting my real life experience and if you get
> defensive and make these disrespectful and rude comments to me again in
> the future, I'll just document your bugs elsewhere and maintain a
> private tree as I do for many of these other little projects and we
> won't have this discourse again.

Give me a sequence of commands where losetup fails.
I will try to reproduce and subsequently fix.
--
vda