No e2fsck with bb 1.7.2

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 11 06:43:52 UTC 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007 02:54, Marc Blumentritt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use bb 1.7.2, but there is no e2fsck link created. If I run:
>
> hive devroot # bin/busybox e2fsck
> e2fsck: applet not found
>
> I get this. I could not find it during configuration with make
> menuconfig, too. Is it removed from bb or added to newer version?

It was disabled. The source is still in the tree:
e2fsprogs/old_e2fsprogs/e2fsck.c

It was disabled because it wasn't really 'busyboxed' (audited
for bloat) when it was added to busybox. As a result,
it is bigger than ash (the biggest existing applet).

There are two possible courses of action: use stock e2fsprogs
or work on making e2fsck which is small enough to be included
in busybox.

Since e2fsck is such an important utility, I think first
option is much safer.
--
vda