ash: Can't access tty problems (initramfs)

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 22:02:58 UTC 2007

On Saturday 19 May 2007 16:06, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 01:00:16PM +0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > I think that there is indeed an understandable desire to start
> > shell on the console and yet to have a ctty (have working ^C).
> > Main reason is that this will automatically start shell on
> > serial line or Linux vt - whichever is configured as console
> > for the kernel. Otherwise, it's sort of not trivial where
> > the console is.
>
> [...]
> >           This device is special - it cannot be a controlling tty.
>
> Why is that?

You can ask kernel people. Bbox FAQ even tells you how to turn it off
by hacking your kernel.

> What changed from busybox 1.4.2 to make this an issue?

A hack was removed from init.c (and is now available as "cttyhack" applet).

busybox is about size, and our init.c is still doing some silly things
it should not do. Like setting TERM (not just setting it, but setting it
*differently* for serial lines (TERM=vt102) and everybody else (TERM=linux)!).
This is just silly. init has no business setting TERM.
--
vda