svn trunk won't build on a debian sarge box

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue May 8 10:08:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:34:35AM +0200, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2007, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > On Monday 07 May 2007 17:27, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > > Anyone else being hit by this?
> > >
> > > ,----

> > > `----
> >
> > ?! You see the above as error message?
> Shouldn't I? busybox_unstripped is not built.

> > I guess your binutils are too old for --gc-sections to work right.
>
> Could be. In that case, does anyone know what binutils version is
> required? I also suggest an update of the relevant FAQ section?

I saw the above today today. However the real error occurs BEFORE the
section dump. In my case it a BUG_*() about telnet globals too big (an
unresolved symbol).

It seems that the addition of -Wl,-M in the Makefile in 1.5.0 causes the
map to be printed if there is a link failure.

So, Christian, check your error messages more carefully - perhaps there
is another error before the start of the map dump.

Hamish