can grep use filenames from stdin?

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 17:51:30 UTC 2007

On 3/19/07, Thompson Harmon [US], Stanley W.
<Stanley.Harmon at sperry.ngc.com> wrote:
> find . -name \*.c
> grep -l -e somepattern `!!`
>
> The above commands will give you the names of the c files containing somepattern.
>
> Stan

yes but xargs will spawn grep for each file and grep will then compile
the pattern everytime.

maybe its better to use some sort of indexing scheme for insanely
humongous directories

--
the thing i like with my linux pc is that i can sum up my complaints in 5 items