Probably a bug in ash

Seb sbb at tuxfamily.org
Fri Jul 6 15:10:28 UTC 2007

Le Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:18:32 -0400
Paul Fox <pgf at brightstareng.com> a écrit:

> wh wrote:
>  > Hi seb,
>  > yes the mail was received but noone had time sofar to
>  > investigate the problem
>
> further info:
> whoever takes a look at this; the problem is even worse than
> originally described.  piping the output of "jobs" loses the
> output entirely, while piping the output of "jobs %1" causes an
> erroneous error message.
>
>     BusyBox v1.7.0.svn (2007-07-05 13:13:46 EDT) built-in shell (ash)
>     Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
>     $ sleep 3600 &
>     $ sleep 700
> (typed ^Z here)
>     [2] + Stopped                    sleep 700
>     $ jobs
>     [2] + Stopped                    sleep 700
>     [1] - Running                    sleep 3600
> (two jobs)
>     $ jobs | cat
>     $ jobs | tr a-z A-Z
> (note missing output)
>     $ jobs
>     [2] + Stopped                    sleep 700
>     [1] - Running                    sleep 3600
> (still two jobs)
>     $ jobs %1
>     [1] - Running                    sleep 3600
> (good)
>     $ jobs %2
>     [2] + Stopped                    sleep 700
> (also good)
>     $ jobs %1 | cat
>     ash: jobs: No such job: %1
> (bad error message)
>     $ jobs %2 | cat
>     ash: jobs: No such job: %2
> (bad error message)
>     $ jobs
>     [2] + Stopped                    sleep 700
>     [1] - Running                    sleep 3600
> (still two jobs)
>

> paul

Ok, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the confirmation and the
additionnal informations. :)

Do you think I should also make a parallel bug report to dash ? (it's
not to put you under pressure -- I well see you have many other things
to fix here and this bug can wait -- but just to try to be more "useful"
without bothering you nor being unpolite).

++
Seb.