trying to build dash: awk and sort bugs uncovered

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jan 2 22:30:51 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 5:18 pm, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 21:06, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > You won't see awk bug anyway because you are most probably
> > > in POSIX locale.
> >
> > Yes.  Since when does busybox support locales?
>
> No sir, I didn't commit that sin! ;) It was done by someone else:
>
> busybox.c
>         /* Set locale for everybody except 'init' */
>         if (ENABLE_LOCALE_SUPPORT && getpid() != 1)
>                 setlocale(LC_ALL, "");
>
> This is practically all. It doesn't take much space.
>
> Now we need to disable it back in a few places (date, httpd, awk)
> for specific LC_xxx.

What does this actually affect?  (I'm curious.  If we can foist locale support
off on the C library with one or two lines, it's not necessarily bad to have
it as a config option.  But what does it do, swap out strcmp() with a
different implementation?)

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery