Busybox build problem

Brion Finlay brion.finlay at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 06:26:20 UTC 2007

This seems like it should be a simple question that other people have had
problems with, but I cannot get Busybox to build.  I have tried google-ing
for similar problems, searching the mail archives, and reading the FAQs and
all of the documentation, but I cannot figure out what is going on.

I am using a fairly fresh install of Ubuntu 6.1, and I have installed enough
of the development packages to build a custom kernel.  (I mention this
because Ubuntu does not preinstall many development packages, so it is
possible I am still missing some, but I have installed quite a few.)

The GCC version is 4.1.2.
sed is GNU Sed version 4.1.5

Here are the compile problems that I get:

Busybox 1.4.1
# make defconfig; make

include/bbconfigopts.h:1088: error: missing terminating " character
(repeated for each line)
include/bbconfigopts.h:1089: error: expected expression before ';' token
make[1]: *** [miscutils/bbconfig.o] Error 1
make: *** [miscutils] Error 2

# make allnoconfig; make

  LINK    busybox_unstripped
/home/brion/busybox-1.4.1/scripts/trylink: 5: function: not found
/home/brion/busybox-1.4.1/scripts/trylink: 11: Syntax error: "}" unexpected
make: *** [busybox_unstripped] Error 2

Busybox 1.4.0
same errors as 1.4.1

Busybox 1.3.2
same errors as 1.4.1

Busybox 1.2.2
# make defconfig; make OR # make allnoconfig; make
 GEN .depend
/home/brion/busybox-1.2.2/include/bbconfigopts.h:13 hmm, unterminated
make[1]: *** [.depend] Error 1
make: *** [_all] Error 2

Busybox 1.0.0
Works fine

I'm sure it is something wrong with my environment, but I do not know what.
Does anyone have any hints?