History in busybox shell doesn't work

Praba Rajah praba_rajah at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 00:23:06 UTC 2007

I press the up key and I expect my previous command , but instead I see nothing.
  The command prompt is empty.

  All three terminals are sent same char sequences. Up arrow is same as you.

  $ ./busybox hexdump -vC
^[[A (<-- when I press "up arrow" and then ctrl-D several times)
00000000 1b 5b 41 |.[A|
00000003

  # busybox hexdump -vC
  ^[[B (<-- When I press "down arrow" and then ctrl-D)

  00000000 1b 5b 42                                                             |.[B|
  00000003

  When I type "history" in the debug port command prompt I am getting:

  # history
sh: history: not found

  But when I type in the telnet terminal or Serial port terminal I am getting

  # history
-ash: history: not found

  Also I have noticed -ash process started after telnet / serial port connection were made.

  We are using different .config files for each versions. Version 1.7.2 .config file which doesn't work is attached here. Please have a look.

  Thank you for your reply.

Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
  On Thursday 20 December 2007 04:26, Praba Rajah wrote:
> After upgrading the busybox from 1.0.0 to 1.7.2, the shell history doesn't
> work fully.
>
> It works when the target is connected through a debug port ( null modem
> cable). When the target board is connected via telnet or through a serial
> port then the shell history doesn't work.

Perhaps you can be more specific. Describe how do you use history
("I press key X and I expect A to happen, but instead I see B").

Let me know what char sequences are sent by up/down keys
on both "good" and "bad" terminals.

For example, on this machine I can find it out as follows:

$ ./busybox hexdump -vC
^[[A (<-- I press "up arrow" and then ctrl-D several times)
00000000 1b 5b 41 |.[A|
00000003

So, on this terminal "up arrow" is ESC [ A.

> All the three connection methods are working with version 1.0.0.
>
> I have noticed command line editing, history size and history saving are
> moved from Another Bourne-like Shell to Busybox Library Tuning and all of
> them are enabled.

Does it happen with the same .config on a x86 desktop/laptop?
Can you post your .config?
--
vda