Busybox Init

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:32:20 UTC 2007

2007/12/5, Rajeev Bansal <rajeevb at intoto.com>:
> Hello Walter,
>
> Please see below mentioned text which I extracted from
> "ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt"
>
> What is initramfs?

[snip]

> So according to them , it's init responsibility to mount the real root
> device, I think VI init works in that way, but not sure about the
> busybox Init. Can anyone clarify me that?

    In the initramfs system you have no real init, in the usual UNIX sense.
  There is a program that does some initialization of the software, often
  loads module and mount real root file system, and launch /sbin/init
  of the real root filesystem. This are two conceptually different things,
  which unfortunately share the same name. The "init" that is present
  in BB is not the one to put on an initramfs. You should really try another
  mailing-list, because this one is not the correct one.

         Loïc Grenié