Different keymaps (??) on my ttys

Alexander Griesser alexander.griesser at lkh-vil.or.at
Mon Dec 3 07:45:00 UTC 2007

Alexander Griesser wrote:
> Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> I saw a similar problem with font loading. Loading font once
>> worked on text-mode VTs, but on framebuffer console based VTs
>> I needed to do it on each VT. Which makes more sense anyway -
>> VTs are supposed to be independent devices, right?
>
> Yes, it definetly makes sense, but it behaved differently on
> earlier kernel/busybox versions so I didn't think about that.

Well, I think I have more details now after my vacation ;)
It seems as if `login` breaks stuff.

I added `read` and `/bin/sh` invocations to all of my startup scripts
(at the beginning, at the end, etc.) and tried to enter the '#' symbol.
It worked everytime I tried it (the loading of the keymap - doesn't
matter if I use `loadkmap` or `loadkeys` - does _NOT_ seem to be the
problem, because it seems to work otherwise).

login otherwise works great, but two keycodes are not accepted:
The '@' character (AltGr + q) behaves as CTRL-U does (e.g. erases
the whole line).
The '#' character behaves like Backspace, e.g. deletes one character
back.

I had a look at login.c and it seems as if the problem occurs in
get_username_or_die(), but I can't make heads or tails of it.
At first I suspected the getchar() function to be the problem, but
then I compiled a small program which was started as the last
startup script and it did work fine too:

- ---------------------------- 8< -------------------------
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
  int c;
  c = getchar();
  printf("Your input was: %c\n", c);
  return 0;
}
- ---------------------------- 8< -------------------------

I'm out of ideas now, please help in debugging this one.

The big problem is that I can't login because my root password
contained a '#' symbol, so for testing purposes, I changed the
root password and then I could login.

After I got to the login shell, all was back normal, so I could
enter the '#' sign on the command line as usual, '@' works too.

When I then `exit` the shell to come back to the login prompt,
the problem remains (still unable to use '#' in my password).

ciao,
- --
Alexander Griesser (Netzwerkadministration)
E-Mail: alexander.griesser at lkh-vil.or.at | Web: http://www.lkh-vil.or.at
KABEG LKH Villach | Nikolaigasse 43 | 9500 Villach
Tel.:   +43 4242 208 3061 | Fax.:   +43 4242 971 3061