busybox-1.8.2: eliminating libnss*

Joseph Sacco jsacco at gnome.org
Fri Dec 14 14:37:16 PST 2007

I would like to eliminate /lib/libnss* and still be able to:

* log in through a serial port [which runs a getty]
* log in via telnet
* connect to an HTTP server spawned from inetd

I configured the busybox-1.8.2 Login/Password Utilities as shown below:

        #
        # Login/Password Management Utilities
        #
        CONFIG_FEATURE_SHADOWPASSWDS=y
        CONFIG_USE_BB_SHADOW=y
        CONFIG_USE_BB_PWD_GRP=y
        # CONFIG_ADDGROUP is not set
        # CONFIG_FEATURE_ADDUSER_TO_GROUP is not set
        # CONFIG_DELGROUP is not set
        # CONFIG_FEATURE_DEL_USER_FROM_GROUP is not set
        # CONFIG_ADDUSER is not set
        # CONFIG_DELUSER is not set
        CONFIG_GETTY=y
        # CONFIG_FEATURE_UTMP is not set
        # CONFIG_FEATURE_WTMP is not set
        CONFIG_LOGIN=y
        # CONFIG_PAM is not set
        CONFIG_LOGIN_SCRIPTS=y
        CONFIG_FEATURE_NOLOGIN=y
        CONFIG_FEATURE_SECURETTY=y
        CONFIG_PASSWD=y
        # CONFIG_FEATURE_PASSWD_WEAK_CHECK is not set
        # CONFIG_CRYPTPW is not set
        # CONFIG_CHPASSWD is not set
        # CONFIG_SU is not set
        # CONFIG_FEATURE_SU_SYSLOG is not set
        # CONFIG_FEATURE_SU_CHECKS_SHELLS is not set
        # CONFIG_SULOGIN is not set
        # CONFIG_VLOCK is not set

When I remove /lib/libnss* from the TARGET system I find that I can log
in through a serial port but can no longer log in via telnet or connect
to the HTTP server.  If I restore these libraries on the TARGET system I
can access the system via telnet and can connect to the HTTP server.

So... It looks like some sort of permissions issue. What am I missing?

-Joseph

--
jsacco [at] gnome [dot] org