Busybox Init

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Wed Dec 5 01:52:07 PST 2007

Rajeev Bansal wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for replying the query.
>
> I am not sure about this but don't you think when you run the command
> switchroot in init script, then its Init's job to remount the previous
> mounted root with read-write options.
>
> Thanks
> -Rajeev

hi Rajeev,
from 'man init'
       Init  is  the  parent  of all processes.  Its primary role is to create
       processes from a script stored in  the  file  /etc/inittab  (see  init-
       tab(5)).   This file usually has entries which cause init to spawn get-
       tys on each line that users can log in.  It  also  controls  autonomous
       processes required by any particular system.

obviously it is NOT the job of init to mount anything or even to know about mounting.
he is starting and supervising processes nothing more. doing a UNIX from scratch is
a huge undertaking. People from "linux from scratch" are much more prepared (and
capable) than the busybox ml to explain details of a system start-up.
see: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

re,
 wh