PATCH: ifupdown.c, udhcpc, and standalone shell

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at cmu.edu
Tue Sep 26 19:41:22 UTC 2006

Denis,

Thanks for the fix. It works, but I'd like to re-arrange the order in
which it attempts to execute various dhcp clients. Right now, udhcpc
is the last one it tries, so you get a series of error messages:

	/ $ ifup -a
	/bin/sh: pump: not found
	/bin/sh: dhclient: not found

before it finally runs udhcpc and thigs work fine.

Since udhcpc is an option provided by busybox itself, I think it
should be the first one we try to run. If we want a more complex
setup (i.e., don't compile the udhcpc applet into busybox, and supply
our own binary) then we should accept to put up with error/warning
messages as ifup searches for the correct dhcp client.

I've attached the modified ifupdown.c.gz.

Another question: right now, udhcpc wants to run a script to configure
the actual interface, and by default looks for it in:

	/usr/share/udhcpc/default.script

You *can* change that by passing '-s file' to udhcpc, but only when
you run it directly, not when ifup does it for you.

Can we talk about a less weird default place for that script (e.g.,
/etc/network/scripts/udhcpc.script or simply /etc/network/udhcpc.script) ?

Or is there a cultural reason for leaving it where it is that I'm not
aware of ? :)

Thanks much,
Gabriel