Busybox current tasks

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Oct 27 04:30:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:50:35PM +0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> This TODO-like thing which I will post semi-regularly.
> Let's see whether it will be helpful.

OK, adding some comments...

> Networking: we mostly believe in ipv4 world,
> even in places where it is nearly trivial to do ipv6 too.
> Heavy usage of scanf/printf("%d.%d.%d.%d") must go.
> See docs/ipv4_ipv6.txt and nslookup.c for examples how to do better.

Basically just using inet_ntop, inet_pton, getaddrinfo, and
getnameinfo will solve the problem, right?

> Shell: we still BADLY need a decent, bash-like shell.

Why is bash-like so important? From my experience ash is great aside
from unnecessarily large size and the crappy 'readline' code.

> Desktop compatibility (what is missing):
> ls -i, chmod/chown -c,

I didn't even know -c existed.. did know about ls -i but never had the
occasion to use it.

> find ( ... ) [needed for kernel's "make clean"]
> (undoubtedly many more)

There are lots of bugs/deficiencies in find that break
automake/libtool crap. The missing things are not GNU-isms but basic
POSIX functionality that's been in all historic implementations for
ages.

Rich