[BusyBox 0001076]: "ip addr del" does not work

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 03:01:04 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 18:06, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> > >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > Andreas Winter - 10-25-06 03:26
> > >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >To be more precise: del should work in addition to delete
> > >
> > >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > bernhardf - 10-25-06 09:01
> > >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >I disagree. ip addr delete should still be supported, so you cannot
> simply
> > >change "delete" to "del" there.
> > >
> > >The attached snippet uses strncmp(,key,strlen(key)) rather than strcmp.
> > >This does not catch ambiguous args when you compare the string_array.
> > >
> > >For this to work, we'd need to keep track on how many matches we got
> and
> > >bail if matches > 1.
> > >
> > >For the ip applet, the strncmp thing should do it for now, though.
> >
> > What do you think about keeping track of the number of matches to catch
> > if we've seen ambiguous matches in compare_string_array?
>
> int do_ipaddr(int argc, char **argv)
> {
>         static const char *const commands[] = {
>                 "add", "delete", "list", "show", "lst", "flush", 0
>         };
>
> I think adding "del" here will be perfectly ok.
> (do_iproute has "del" and "delete, for example).
>
> I am committing this change.
>
> Thank you guys.
> --
> vda

The reason this initially led to more discussion is that there were numerous
short aliases supported in the full version, and possibly other applets as
well.  The thought was to find a way to more generically support them
without needing to increase the size of applets by adding every possible
alias variation as a string.