Strange pipe behaviour in the latest svn version

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Oct 17 23:17:02 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 6:53 pm, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > > Today I have upgrade to the latest daily snapshot available on
> > > busybox.net and found out a strange problem with some tools
> > > (readlink, cut, ...) in terms of piping outputs to the next
> > > tool in chain.
> >
> > Did somebody revert
> > http://busybox.net/downloads/patches/svn-16017.patch
> > or is this a new bug?
>
> Not reverted, it is simply gone along with old build system...

Unfortunately, some of those bits were actually needed. :)

This bug is actually a glibc bug, and probably specific to certain versions of
glibc at that.  If anybody wants to track down _which_ versions of glibc have
this problem, maybe the test could be refined a bit.

Or, alternately, the gcc developers could be poked into fixing their darn bug.
But then anybody using gcc _and_ caring about size has already shown vast
peversity...

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery